Re: [opensuse-buildservice] "the Open Build Service team having upgraded the build farm with SSDs"?
  • From: Claudio Freire <klaussfreire@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 8 Sep 2012 16:36:52 -0300
On Thu, Sep 6, 2012 at 6:25 AM, Michael Schroeder <mls@xxxxxxx> wrote:
"the Open Build Service team having upgraded the build farm with SSDs
and using preinstall images to rapidly setup build virtual machines."

News to me, can we have an update? How many? Is performance improved? etc?

Using preinstall images helped quite a bit to speed up setting up the
build environment, my guess is that it took away 30 seconds on average.
That's doesn't sound like much, but the average build time is about
7 minutes.

You know what would speed up environment setup *and* decrease the amount of I/O?

Hardlinking common files between build workers.

If you check the monitor and tell it to show the repository being
built, you'll see a lot of potential sharing. Sharing not only avoids
the work of having to unpack the rpm, it also avoids the need to have
two copies of the same file and thus lowers I/O requirements.

Pulling it off, however, isn't easy, but the stork project did it for
PlanetLab and it may be useful in the OBS. Maybe this is a good GSOC
project ;-)