Re: [opensuse-buildservice] "the Open Build Service team having upgraded the build farm with SSDs"?
  • From: Greg Freemyer <greg.freemyer@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 6 Sep 2012 10:30:45 -0400
On Thu, Sep 6, 2012 at 5:25 AM, Michael Schroeder <mls@xxxxxxx> wrote:
On Wed, Sep 05, 2012 at 05:59:36PM -0400, Greg Freemyer wrote:
In http://news.opensuse.org/2012/09/05/opensuse-12-2-green-means-go/ it says

"the Open Build Service team having upgraded the build farm with SSDs
and using preinstall images to rapidly setup build virtual machines."

News to me, can we have an update? How many? Is performance improved? etc?

Using preinstall images helped quite a bit to speed up setting up the
build environment, my guess is that it took away 30 seconds on average.
That's doesn't sound like much, but the average build time is about
7 minutes.

Our SSD machine isn't that much faster then the other machines for
some reason. We need to investigate this further.

SATA interfaced SSDs are much faster than rotating disks for seeks,
not linear reads.

If you have the preinstall images and disk cache working well, that
may be eliminating most of the advantage of a SSD.

As a test, you could find a package with a large set of packages
installed and maybe a kernel compile that takes a long time to run.

If the SSD doesn't accelerate one of those 2 workloads, I would be surprised.

If SATA interfaced SSDs don't help, you can look at native PCI express
SSDs, but I don't know much about those including what the driver
status is.

Greg