Re: [opensuse-buildservice] Comprehensive, up to date rpm documentation
On Thu, Jul 19, 2012 at 4:45 AM, Isaac Hailperin
<i.hailperin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On 07/19/2012 10:39 AM, Cristian Morales Vega wrote:

I was looking for THE definite source of rpm documentation. Have I missed
anything?

Not really. RPM documentation is just bad.

[...]

Then, after a few years of packaging, you get used to it...

... thats what I was afraid of ... anyway, I feel less stupid now. Thanks.

Isaac

Isaac,

You should be aware there is currently a flame war on opensuse-factory
because a few users want the legacy RPM building process to still
work. That is mostly what you will find documented at various places.

opensuse and only opensuse has developed an entire solution
specifically for building RPMs. That solution is the opensuse build
service. The pieces of obs have all been released under GPL, but it
is proprietary in the sense that the other distros don't use it.

There is a public instance of OBS which is used to actually build all
of the opensuse distro RPMs, or you can download and create a local
instance. The command line tool osc is part of the solution and with
the --local-package arg you can in theory build packages in isolation
from OBS, but I admit to having never done that.

Thus you are at a crossroads. Learn the old way which I think Fedora
and most of the other RPM based distros use, or learn the opensuse way
which is 100% different from the legacy way and learn it.

Greg