Re: [opensuse-buildservice] obs-worker - restarting services in chroot env at build time
  • From: Adrian Schröter <adrian@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2012 13:18:13 +0200
Am Freitag, 13. Juli 2012, 12:33:14 schrieb Florian Kabus:
Hi,

we have an private OBS installation here (now seperated in an obs-server
and one worker, both running in seperated VMs on a vSphere Server).

Some of our RPMs restart services like apache or mysql in the %post
directive.
The problem here is that the obs-worker starts the specified services in
its chroot environment but doesn't stop them after the build has
completed.

At least the opensuse and SLE builds do deinstall packages at the end of the
build.
If that happens and it is still running there is a packaging bug in first place.
Or broken base system.

So all further builds fail, because the services are still
running. I would expect that the worker cleans up his build environment
inclusive the started services etc.

But maybe I´m a bit puzzled with the underlying 'principles'. It would
be nice if someone could push me in the right direction or give some
best practices for a solution to this scenario.
Would be a 'KVM build envorinment' be a appropriate solution for this

KVM (or XEN) build be a solution for that. chroot are known not to be
secure neither 100% clean.

(like build.opensuse.org does it? - As long as I interpreted the build
logs correctly...) ? But I think this is probably not possible, because
the appliances are already running as VMs with no HW virtualization
available.

yes, can be a problem. However, there is some newer hardware supporting VM
inside VM. I haven't played with that so.

Greetings
Florian

SUSE Linux Products GmbH