[opensuse-buildservice] Re: How to setup OBS to support multilib builing
  • From: Troy Telford <ttelford.groups@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2012 17:10:58 -0600
On 2012-06-11 22:44:29 +0000, He Zhenxing said:

Hi,

I have setup a local OBS (2.3.0), and I'm working on some packages that
requires both 32 and 64 bit packages for building, I don't find a way to
make this work. It seems OBS does not support building packages this
way. I have put both 32 and 64 bit packages in the repository, but when
I use package.i386 or package.x86_64 in the requires of the package to
be built, the whole string include the arch name will be treated as a
package name and OBS will complain that the package is unresolvable.

I can say that 32/64 bit packaging is absolutely possible with OBS; I do it daily.

First question: What OS distribution are you using? This is important.

- Red Hat derived distributions (RHEL, Fedora, CentOS, Scientific Linux, etc.) handle 32 bit libraries differently than what SUSE derived distributions.
- RedHat distributions simply have two packages - an x86_64 and an i386 package.
- I'll admit some ignorance in how to "correctly" manage 32-bit packages with 64-bit RedHat; my experience has largely been that the RedHat-style is a PITA in comparison.
- In contrast, SUSE distros typically have x86_64 packages - but there is a -32bit package (such as glibc-32bit). I've found it to be far simpler to understand and manage 32 bit packages on a 64-bit system with the "SUSE way".

I'd love for somebody to correct me with a better way (PLEASE!) - but with Red Hat derived distributions, I've made it a practice to create a "32bitsupport" package - where I've simply unpacked & re-packed the 32-bit binaries. Then I require the "32bitsupport" package. By doing that, I have no issues at all building a package that has both 32 and 64-bit binaries.

On the other hand, with a SUSE-derived distribution, it's a piece of cake to handle the dependencies - just require the "-32bit" pakages, and you're on your way.
--
Troy Telford