Re: [opensuse-buildservice] Re: [opensuse-packaging] To %make_install or to %makeinstall (spec-cleaner)
On Monday 14 May 2012, Frank Lichtenheld wrote:
-----Original Message-----
From: Joop Boonen [mailto:joop.boonen@xxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Monday, May 14, 2012 5:53 PM
To: Pavol Rusnak
Cc: opensuse-buildservice@xxxxxxxxxxxx;
opensuse-packaging@xxxxxxxxxxxx Subject: [opensuse-buildservice]
Re: [opensuse-packaging] To %make_install or to %makeinstall
(spec-cleaner)

On Mon, May 14, 2012 5:28 pm, Pavol Rusnak wrote:
On 14/05/12 17:07, Joop Boonen wrote:
I wonder if this should be fixed, in either spec-cleaner
(use%makeinstall
in stead of %make_install) or in the buildserver (add macro
%make_install
for SLE)?

Spec cleaner was written to support only the latest
distributions.

I like spec cleaner a lot and I think it really helps cleaning up a
spec file.

Might it be option to translate into %makeinstall instead of
%make_install?

Using %makeinstall in a spec file is a bad idea. While it makes it
work on SLE, it breaks it on Fedora where %makeinstall is still the
old broken variant. Defining %make_install on SLE might be the better
option.

I currently just replace %make_install directly with its first-level
expansion, that seems to be only thing working across all
OBS-supported Distros (but obviously might cause problems in the
future).

I'm using

%{?make_install} %{!?make_install:make install DESTDIR=%{buildroot}}

for all my packages. This works for all repos and spec-cleaner does not
touch it.

cu,
Rudi