Re: [opensuse-buildservice] setting up an Ubuntu/Debian distribution project on a local OBS installation
  • From: Jeremiah Foster <jeremiah.foster@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 6 May 2012 15:29:41 +0200
On Fri, May 4, 2012 at 8:43 PM, <Jared_Dominguez@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
How are the distribution projects for Ubuntu (like Ubuntu:10.04) set up on
build.opensuse.org? Of course, I see the project and raw configs, but the
rest is unclear to me.

This is the 64 thousand dollar question. :-) While we've done this
internally at our company, there is not a lot of documentation on how
to do this in OBS. This is one of the great drawbacks of OBS -- it has
very little documentation. Secondly, OBS comes from OpenSUSE (mostly)
and this means a subtle bias towards rpm and a lack of familiarity
with debs. These two things make it difficult to do easy deb based
distro set ups.

That said, there has been some good work done in the latest OBS
release (2.3.0) that addresses some of the shortcomings on the deb
side. It is possible to do things like sign the Packages file for
example.

I'm trying to set up an Ubuntu distribution project in a local OBS install to
have locally for quicker access and avoid the intermittent but frequent
proxy/latency issues we see when just pointing to distribution projects on
build.opensuse.org. We can't use download on demand in this case, as we'd
like to also have the ability to utilize updated packages from the -updates
and -security Ubuntu repositories (e.g. precise-updates and
precise-security), and the download on demand feature doesn't like it when
repositories change at all.

To do this, the instructions at
http://gitorious.org/opensuse/build-service/blobs/master/dist/README.SETUP
recommend (in section 4.2) copying the distribution project over from
build.opensuse.org using obs_mirror_project and
/srv/www/obs/api/script/import. However, I have an internal Ubuntu (non-OBS)
mirror, so it really makes no sense to pull all these packages from outside.

It's also unclear to me how to keep a deb-based distribution project
up-to-date after the initial import.

What do you mean by "up-to-date"? Do you mean how do you add new
packages that have been patched and have new versions? Are you keeping
the repo up-to-date or trying to sync the underlying OS with upstream?
If you're doing the latter, you'll like want to look at some tools
from the Debian world where this problem has been largely solved. Take
a look at reprepro for example which has an active maintainer (who is
also the author) as well as other tools.

I've looked through the documentation (and done lots of web searches) for how
to do this. The best I can find is to either use download on demand, just
point to build.opensuse.org or just copy the distribution project from
build.opensuse.org. As I said, though, none of those are good options for me.
I've spent time looking through the OBS source, and it looks like bs_admin is
what parses repositories for sourcing, but it doesn't necessarily seem to
indicate how OBS wants me to set up the actual Ubuntu distribution project. I
see that bs_srcserver seems to also do some of the work. I am not terribly
familiar with the OBS source, so it's likely that I've missed something. I
may also be incorrect in the assumption that OBS is parsing the Packages.gz
file for a repository or expecting an ordinary apt repository.

Those are good questions -- I think one has to go code diving to
determine the answers, I've never seen any documentation on how OBS
parses Debian-based repos.

Regards,

Jeremiah

--Jared

PS: This is my first post on this list or in this community, so please kindly
point out to me if I'm not following the social expectations here.

Jeremiah C. Foster エレミア フォスター
Open Source Technologist
Pelagicore AB
Ekelundsgatan 4, 6tr, SE-411 18 Gothenburg, Sweden
Mobile: +46 (0)730 93 0506
E-Mail: jeremiah.foster@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

=== NOTE ===
The information contained in this E-mail message is
intended only for use of the individual or entity
named above. If the reader of this message is not
the intended recipient, or the employee or agent
responsible to deliver it to the intended recipient,
you are hereby notified that any dissemination,
distribution or copying of this communication is
strictly prohibited.