[opensuse-buildservice] setting up an Ubuntu/Debian distribution project on a local OBS installation
How are the distribution projects for Ubuntu (like Ubuntu:10.04) set up on
build.opensuse.org? Of course, I see the project and raw configs, but the rest
is unclear to me.

I'm trying to set up an Ubuntu distribution project in a local OBS install to
have locally for quicker access and avoid the intermittent but frequent
proxy/latency issues we see when just pointing to distribution projects on
build.opensuse.org. We can't use download on demand in this case, as we'd like
to also have the ability to utilize updated packages from the -updates and
-security Ubuntu repositories (e.g. precise-updates and precise-security), and
the download on demand feature doesn't like it when repositories change at all.

To do this, the instructions at
http://gitorious.org/opensuse/build-service/blobs/master/dist/README.SETUP
recommend (in section 4.2) copying the distribution project over from
build.opensuse.org using obs_mirror_project and /srv/www/obs/api/script/import.
However, I have an internal Ubuntu (non-OBS) mirror, so it really makes no
sense to pull all these packages from outside.

It's also unclear to me how to keep a deb-based distribution project up-to-date
after the initial import.

I've looked through the documentation (and done lots of web searches) for how
to do this. The best I can find is to either use download on demand, just point
to build.opensuse.org or just copy the distribution project from
build.opensuse.org. As I said, though, none of those are good options for me.
I've spent time looking through the OBS source, and it looks like bs_admin is
what parses repositories for sourcing, but it doesn't necessarily seem to
indicate how OBS wants me to set up the actual Ubuntu distribution project. I
see that bs_srcserver seems to also do some of the work. I am not terribly
familiar with the OBS source, so it's likely that I've missed something. I may
also be incorrect in the assumption that OBS is parsing the Packages.gz file
for a repository or expecting an ordinary apt repository.

--Jared

PS: This is my first post on this list or in this community, so please kindly
point out to me if I'm not following the social expectations here.