Re: [opensuse-buildservice] Introducing the Freight Train
  • From: Roger Luedecke <roger.luedecke@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2012 16:21:31 -0700
On Fri, 2012-04-27 at 01:07 +0200, Jos Poortvliet wrote:
Hey all!

As SUSE is gearing up for SLE 12, SUSE is doing more in openSUSE. Features
like systemd and grub2 are examples and more will follow. That is good for
openSUSE, but it can also lead to conflicts. Most of our engineers are
involved in other upstream projects and know the drill of working with
communities, but even then there's a risk that all this 'tramples' a bit
over what we've been doing in openSUSE. That's called the 'Freight Train'
effect, see [1] for a bit more background.

We'd of course like to do what we can to smoothen this out and discussed
this a bit with the openSUSE Boosters and some other people. One result was
that we decided to set up a special mail address with a number of people
where community members who get bitten by the freight train can yell at.
Obviously the goal is to then investigate and do something about it.

We try to have a small number of people on there, preferably including SUSE-
ians from Nuremberg and Prague so they can approach people directly when
needed and talk/hug/beat some sense in them and/or coach/guide.

The team aims to help with TECHNICAL issues. Merge requests being ignored,
patches rejected. It's not about solving bugs, helping users with questions,
or doing something about personal conflics. There are other places for those!

Right now, the team consists of AJ, Henne and myself - we'd like a SUSE
volunteer from Prague. If anyone else is willing to step up, that's good
too. Note that we look for technical people who know many community members
and have some social and coaching skills.

Some people might think there is or will be no problem - the mail address
won't get much issues to solve so we can kill it off soon enough. We're fine
with that! It might also get unrelated or other issues, which we'll try to
relay those to the board, sysadmins or opensuse-project.

[1] http://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Freight_Train

Love, hugs and all that,
Jos P
If I understand this correctly, you are looking for some folks who can
catch loose ends and poke the right people to get it resolved. Also
mediating disputes. I'd be interested if you think I can help.