Re: [opensuse-buildservice] overwhelmed by llvm builds?
On Tue, Apr 24, 2012 at 11:53:06AM +0200, Sascha Peilicke wrote:
But most of the time the correct solution is to just put
the repository with the needed packages in the path. You need
aggregates/source links only if
- the other packages from the repository break your build, or
- you need to have the packages in your published repo.
Right, which is IMO almost always the case. I can't come up with a case
where you would want to build against a certain package but don't
provide this dependency to your users alongside?

Well, you don't aggregate every Factory package, do you? And
with "One Click Install", you also get the other repositories
added to your system, which is much cleaner than duplicating
binary packages.

IMO this makes only
sense for statically linked stuff. On the other hand, aggregates tend to
break ever so often

They break? Why? How?

thus you're always on the safe side by using links
only. They're a rather simple concept,

Yes, a simple and dumb concept.

always get a rebuild and a
publish. IMO this should remain the only way we advertise to packagers,
the other stuff breaks just too often. Also, users shouldn't care which
is faster, this is our problem to solve, not theirs.

I don't think rebuilding the universe is really our goal.

Cheers,
Michael.

--
Michael Schroeder mls@xxxxxxx
SUSE LINUX Products GmbH, GF Jeff Hawn, HRB 16746 AG Nuernberg