Re: [opensuse-buildservice] Reworking the software search, part II
On Mon, Apr 16, 2012 at 9:49 AM, Dominique Leuenberger a.k.a DimStar
<DimStar@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Quoting Greg Freemyer <greg.freemyer@xxxxxxxxx>:

On Sat, Apr 14, 2012 at 7:08 AM, Jos Poortvliet <jos@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I think that is just carry over from years ago when everything in
factory had to fit on the DVD.

The current policy for factory does not restrict by size and I believe
it is encouraged to get the vast majority of useful packages into
factory.  I could be wrong, but I think most games would be welcomed
into factory.  Maybe a push to do that for 12.3 should be considered?

(I assume it is too late for 12.2)

This, combined with the 'update' policy we had strictly enforced.

Since that is no longer strictly enforced, it becomes a procedural
issue to handle updates.

The pre-12.1 procedure was apparently very complex to push updates,
but now that updates go out through OBS, is it procedurally difficult
to push updates out to the released products?

I'm rather sure none of the 'games repo' hosted packages ever gets a
'security only' related fix pushed anywhere...

I doubt most opensuse leaf packages do, so that doesn't seem a reason
not to have them in factory.

there are always coupled with version updates.

A coupling of a specific version of a game to a specific release of openSUSE
is unrealistic... probably also a reason why many of them never made it into
Factory.

But are those reasons still valid?

note: If the technical issues no longer exist, maybe this discussion
should start anew in either -factory or -project.

Dominique

Greg