Re: Re: [opensuse-buildservice] about the new web software search
  • From: Jos Poortvliet <jos@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 14 Apr 2012 12:57:38 +0200
On Friday 13 April 2012 16:28:35 Ruediger Meier wrote:
On Friday 13 April 2012, Robert Schweikert wrote:
On 04/13/2012 06:39 AM, Ruediger Meier wrote:
Hi,

IMO the new search webinterface is quiet useless now.

You have to do too many clicks just to find out which exactly
versions of a package are available and what particular project it
comes from. In fact it even seems to find much less packages than
available on OBS.

It's not clear on first view how to browse directly into the source
project page where the search hit belongs too. Also IMO confusiong
that project names are shown somehow "human readble" instead of
just using the well known (and copy/pasteble) strings like
"openSUSE:11.4:Update".

Another thing, why you always hide the "show distribution" menu
after submitting the search button? This is very annoying. Moreover
I generally hate these kind of java script pages where the page
back button never does what you would expect...

Generally +1

However, I have to say that I did not participate in the discussion
on the prototype and therefore, somewhat, forfeited my right to
complain after the fact.

Thus, rather than complain, I'd like to request that an "Expanded
View" button get added to the page. The "Expanded View" would then
present the results in a similar way the old search did, with quick
and easy access to the OBS project.

Putting myself into the shoes of the "average user" I have to say the
new search is better, as it gets to the point quickly:

- Search for a package
- Get the results
- Install it

Thus, for the "average user" (if such a beast exists) the new search
is a great improvement.

Yup, allthough even when thinking like the average user who likes to
browse through wizards instead of seeing everthing on one page I would
have at least 2 issues:

1. I'm not blind. Why are all these buttons, search bar and fonts that
big? After expanding the menus/options I have to resize my browser or
scroll around allthough there are only a few informations on page.

2. The fat "Direct Install" button probably does almost never show what
I'am looking for. For example searching for "coreutils" recommends me
the same version which comes originally with the distro. But I'd say
going through the web to search for it instead of just installing it
via zypper/yast indicates clearly that I'am looking for something else.
Thus it's simply annoying to let me click through all these search hits
instead of just showing everything on one page.

It now also shows updates, if there are official updates.

I've suggested before to try and show updates from our devel projects as well
as these also provide reasonably reliable updates.

For those that want/need more info the
details are much harder to come by, unfortunately. Therefore, an
"Expanded View" button would be fantastic, and would meet both needs.

Usually I'm using "osc search" anyway but sometimes web search is(was)
easier. So would be really nice also to think about those users who
never use "1 click install" but just want to find and download a
particular rpm as quickly as possible or just want to find and browse
an OBS project which contains a particular package-version.

Sure but that should indeed be hidden from the end users as I think it's more
of a corner case.

The core useage of the search is to find and install an application.

In quite some cases that application will be part of openSUSE but the user
just decided to use software.opensuse.org instead of YaST (which is not so
weird as s.o.o is far more easy to use).

Most of the rest of the cases would (I think) be when you're looking for a
newer package or one which isn't (yet?) part of the distro you run. Our devel
projects provide this.

If there are no results in devel projects I think it makes sense to
automatically expand 'unsupported' and show results of home projects,
preferably sorted in some smart way (eg by # of downloads in the home
projects).

cu,
Rudi