Re: [opensuse-buildservice] about the new web software search
On Friday 13 April 2012, Thomas Schmidt wrote:
On 13.04.2012 12:39, Ruediger Meier wrote:
Hi,

IMO the new search webinterface is quiet useless now.

You have to do too many clicks just to find out which exactly
versions of a package are available and what particular project it
comes from. In fact it even seems to find much less packages than
available on OBS.

Hi Ruediger,
we designed the new search with focus on normal users and not obs
experts, but I also want to satisfy the powerusers and offer all info
that they need.

I would stick to the extra click that is currently needed to show all
available versions of a package, as that option is only used by few
users and confuses all others.

Generally it's ok for me that most stuff shuld be beginner friendly.
Anyway her some more thoughts about this.

1. The "Direct Install" version is almost never the one I want.
2. Usually I dont want to install the package on the machine where my
webbrowser is running.
3. Mostly I don't even want to install anything - just looking what
package versions are available etc.
4. I never ever used "1 Click install" so far and I probably never will
(just a matter of taste).
5. On most machines I don't even have yast installed. The *.ymp download
is useless there and will confuse non-experts even more than me.

I would also say that it's not slower to get to the information you
need, because in the old search you had to read through lots of
search results with your searched package maybe on page x of the
paginated view.

I don't say that the old search was perfect. The paginated view was also
annoying. Why not just one readable table on a single page?

It's not clear on first view how to browse directly into the source
project page where the search hit belongs too. Also IMO confusiong
that project names are shown somehow "human readble" instead of
just using the well known (and copy/pasteble) strings like
"openSUSE:11.4:Update".

What do you mean by "source project page"? The OBS page that is
linked from the project name? I agree that we need to find a nice way
to show more info for the repo line, for example a way to get to the
ftp repo is missing, and we could also show the last changed date for
example.

Yes, that's what I ment.

I don't think that the human readable names confuse the users, on the
contrary they should make it easier and hide the technical obs names.
Why would you like to copy/paste the name "openSUSE:11.4:Update"?

I always copy/paste between web browser and console (e.g. to build osc
or wget command lines or URLs).

Another thing, why you always hide the "show distribution" menu
after submitting the search button? This is very annoying. Moreover
I generally hate these kind of java script pages where the page
back button never does what you would expect...

The back button should be working even when using the ajax search, we
use pjax for that. Could you open a bug about that, so I can check?

Example:
1. Unexpand some search hits, extended options, whatever.
2. Enter any other page (e.g. click the "About openSUSE" link at the
bottom of the page).
3. Then go back. You see everything unexpanded again.

cu,
Rudi