[opensuse-buildservice] osc revisions while linking

While using linking on OBS, I get a _link file similar to the following

<link package="CentOS-Live-VMDK" rev="9310cbd84d63e722ad66abca52a985fa"
cicount="copy" baserev="9310cbd84d63e722ad66abca52a985fa">
<patches>
<apply name="project.diff" />
</patches>
</link>

I searched around on the opensuse-buildservice mailing list and found out the
value assigned to "rev" is an md5sum. Could someone please clarify md5sum of
what is captured in "rev" . Also I am only interested in using the standard
revision numbers in the links (ex: 12, 34, 89 etc). There is a way to map the
md5sum value to a particular revision of the source project?

Is there way to tell OSC to use only the revision numbers instead of md5sum
values while creating new links?

Thank you
Praveen K Paladugu
Dell Linux Engineering