Re: [opensuse-buildservice] bugzilla or OBS for pushing patches upstream
On Fri, Mar 30, 2012 at 09:17:04AM -0400, Darin Perusich wrote:

I'm curious to know if there's a preferred method for pushing
features/patches to packages upstream in the distribution.

Unfortunately ther is no single way to make it right.

For Samba we take everything and don't complain if you don't do it the
right way. Cause we care only about getting issues solved. If we have
to adjust a patch slightly and it's an easy task, we simply do it.

If you offer us a patch for lets say the Samba 3.0 - which reached its
upstream EOL quite some time back - we would say: Nice, but please also
offer us a patch against the git.samba.org master branch as well.

We have the move of our Samba stuff to a public git tree on our agenda.

The SUSE Linux kernel is mainly mainrtained in git and from there the
package sources are generated.

I created a
feature/bug request in bugzilla to which the response was basically
"patches are welcome". So I patched and tested this feature to the
app and posted the patches to the bugzilla ticket and nothing, no
response or followups. That's fine, i know people are busy and my
request may not be of much importance to others, but I do feel this
feature is valuable and it's availability will be a dependency on
another packaging modification request I plan on creating.

Asking back here is correct. More help and inparticular more specifric
you might get as soon as you include the particular software component
you're working on.

At this point would I be better served by branching the package in
OBS, applying my patches, and creating an SR or just wait for the
things to work there way through bugzilla?

Your move to raise the issue here I consider a the right approaoch in
general.

While I'd like to see this
pushed out to all supported distro releases I realize this may not be
an option, but with the 12.2 RC around the corner I'd be happy with it
making that release.

Getting this into 12.2 is welcom. Getting a backported fix into
released products is welcom too.

Here the road to follow depends on what you'r egoing to patch. If you
go to fix a Linux kernel issue it's less likely to lift more than the
minor version. Same applies to same base package like glibc.

Samba is at the other end of the dependency stack.

Cheers,

Lars
--
Lars Müller [ˈlaː(r)z ˈmʏlɐ]