Re: [opensuse-buildservice] Reworking the software search, part II
  • From: Martin Seidler <pistazienfresser@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 18 Mar 2012 15:45:35 +0100
Am 18.03.2012 00:37, schrieb Thomas Schmidt:
On 16.03.2012 20:44, Martin Seidler wrote:
Dear Thomas, hello list,

I think the revamping is a great idea and I appreciate your work and effort but
I think this new search still has it difficulties and problems.

Am 13.03.2012 19:38, schrieb Patrick Shanahan:
* Thomas Schmidt<tom@xxxxxxxxxxxx> [03-13-12 12:07]:
On 12.03.2012 18:26, Patrick Shanahan wrote:
* Thomas Schmidt<tom@xxxxxxxxxxxx> [03-12-12 11:44]:
Please check the new search at:
http://software.opensuse.org/search/find
and see an example app page here:
http://software.opensuse.org/package/kopete

Please let me know what you think of the current state.
Very nice and everything is presented rather than having to specify
looking for other than the main repo's. Perhaps a notice/warning for the
unknowing about the stability/experimental characteristics of the not
*main* repo's, maybe even a *tagging* of the repo's that are *not*
main-line supported??
I added such a warning now, with the option for the user to skip it the next
time.
Tks, I looked and like the presentation.

I wonder that I do not see "Tumbleweed" ??

I think it is still mixed up with openSUSE 12.1.

Compare:
https://features.opensuse.org/310986

And now you could not even guess/see that the packages are really build for
Tumbleweed and not for 12.1.

In addition to that you do not see the file names.

So it will be easier for the packages that are already easy to search with the
YaST Software Manager.

But for the cases software search would be a help now - an other solution would
be needed.

Example (maybe I am wrong?):

Kernel module r8168
(I think it has to be for the right kernel version number, kernel flavor and
openSUSE version)

Please make a try to find a fitting one (and especially if there is one) with

http://software.opensuse.org/search/searchresult?q=r8168
against
http://software.opensuse.org/search?q=r8168&baseproject=openSUSE%3A12.1

for the case on

uname -a
Linux linux-x9yw 3.1.9-1.4-desktop #1 SMP PREEMPT Fri Jan 27 08:55:10
UTC 2012 (efb5ff4) x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

The new search may seem easier for me at the beginning as I could better choose
the modules fitting to a kernel flavor. But if you do not look at the linked
URL I will not be able to see that the
kernel version number does not fit.

And before this change it was only puzzling/difficult that the Tumbleweed packages are
filed under "openSUSE 12.1" - with the new design it is almost impossible to
notice.
I guess this would lead to many systems messed up in a wild Tumbleweed/12.1
mixture...

Hi Martin, please check again. I updated the software search page with the
latest
version, and it shows Tumbleweed as a seperate distro now.

Greetings

Thanks Thomas,

1)
The search for openSUSE 12.1 packages with the new front-end/layout seems now really to lead to openSUSE 12.1 and not also to Tumbleweed packages.

I think that is really a big improvement!

2)
But as I am not able to see the name of the packages in the search results (unless I use the trick with the URL of the Link) it is still pretty difficult to find a package for the fitting kernel version number like 3.1.9-1.4

I would like to see the information like the name of the file
r8168-kmp-desktop-8.027.00_k*3.1.0_1.2-7.1*.x86_64.rpm

without going the way:

http://software.opensuse.org/package/r8168-kmp-desktop?search_term=r8168
(klick, klick, klick, klick, ...)
->
https://build.opensuse.org/package/show?project=home:TheTiger&package=r8168
->
https://build.opensuse.org/package/binaries?package=r8168&project=home%3ATheTiger&repository=openSUSE_12.1
->
"...
r8168-kmp-desktop-8.027.00_k3.1.0_1.2-7.1.x86_64.rpm
"

Maybe I am not learned enough to understand that kernel module things and I could use kernel modules build for a 3.1.0_1.2-7.1 openSUSE kernel version also for a kernel with a 3.1.9-1.4 version number but I thought things like that would be important.

3)
In my view it would make sense to switch back to the old/current layout when the results from the sub-project repositories are shown (or at least for the really private home repositories).

In addition to more information about the packages and the package builders this would be a fitting 'warning' - more than (only) that pop-up window.

Regards
Martin

--
openSUSE profile: https://users.opensuse.org/show/pistazienfresser