Re: [opensuse-buildservice] Debootstrap as a replacement of debian chroot creation in obs
  • From: Helio Chissini de Castro <helio.chissini.de.castro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 07 Mar 2012 07:52:01 -0300
Hello

On Wednesday 07 March 2012 09:43:08 Adrian Schröter wrote:
Am Dienstag, 6. März 2012, 08:17:27 schrieb Helio Chissini de Castro:

I'm open to opinions, ideas of how far we can go, improve the script and
if
maybe we can adapt this to upstream in future.

Having a first look, it seems you do not install VMINSTALL packages, but do
install all packages in preinstall phase.

Fr the first test, i ignored VMINSTALL, since we're using only chroot based
installs, but as soon this progress, of course VMINSTALL will be put in the
lop. Is just i just not handled that yet

Also, are you sure that debootstrap is really never executing scripts during
this phase ? I doubt that. But when it is executing scripts this approach
is actually a security problem, because you can take over the worker.

debootstrap is an old reliable tool in debian, andd is a single shell script
that can easily been read. I understand your security concerns, but
debootstrap puts everything inside chroot from doenloaded packages and then i
return the control for init_buildsystem.
The proper way would be debootstrap download packages itself, making the my
life easier, but this would ignore completly the cache system of obs, which is
not desired.

Also, I think you can not enforce anymore to ignore dependencies or to
downgrade versions which is required in some situations.

The packages to install is passed by init_buildsystem list, so debootstrap
knows how to handle this. If not works, the error is in the packaging, not the
tool. If in the package list provided by init_buildsystem we have dowgraded
packages, it supposes to work.

[]'s