Re: [opensuse-buildservice] different packages installed in local build chroot than in OBS build
  • From: Adrian Schröter <adrian@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 07 Mar 2012 10:36:19 +0100
The %speedbash macro depends on other %if macros, but in the beginning
of the chain some macro must just be initialized differently on the
worker host than locally. How can I find out where these macros are
actually intialized and where the difference comes from?

Check with eg:

osc api /build/openSUSE:Tools/openSUSE_Factory/_buildconfig

what your configured build config is. There are also comments from which
project they exactly come from.

When looking at http://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Build_Service_prjconf, I

read:
The prjconf denotes the (build) configuration of a project. The main
part of this file (/usr/lib/build/configs/$distro.conf) is the
definition of the build environment

So do these conf files actually play a role in the initialization of the
macros? If yes, is it the one on the host or the one in the chroot?

Not in the OBS case. They are only there for usage of "build" standalone.

don't really understand how that should work: We are talking about the
initialization of the chroot, so I can't see how the conf files from
inside the chroot could be used, because they are not there yet when we
need to decide our preinstalls. But on the other side if the ones of
the host are used, the host could influence the contents of the chroot,
contradicting the purpose of the chroot being a well-defined isolated
build envoironment. Any explanations to solve this knot are welcome.
Or are these conf files for the "second" kind of macros only, which are
used by rpmbuild, not those used in the prjconf?

Any hints to trace down were the difference is created? I have already
tried to debug osc a bit, but at least so far I have not found any place
where these macros are handled. When I execute "osc build", is the
difference likely to be caused already on the OBS (I don't have any
access to the installation than a normal user account) and included
e.g. in the buildinfo sent from the OBS to my local build or does the
relevant processing happen first locally in my own machine (where I
could debug it)?

Regards,

Uwe Geuder
Nomovok Ltd.
Tampere, Finland
uwe.gxuder@xxxxxxxxxxx (bot check: humans correct 1 obvious spelling error)

[1] As far as installed packages are concerned. Of course there will be
other differences like the kernel, the amount of memory and a million
other parameters that could cause nasty problems if things go really wrong.

[2] chroot in OBS is a security risk. This is a private OBS instance
in a closed intranet with only "trusted" users.
SUSE Linux Products GmbH