Re: [opensuse-buildservice] add GIT as possible value for URL in spec file
  • From: Adam Spiers <aspiers@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 6 Mar 2012 11:57:46 +0000
Tomas Cech (tcech@xxxxxxx) wrote:
I'm using GIT protocol in URL in spec files and I have always warning
like this one:

evas.x86_64: W: invalid-url URL git://git.enlightenment.org/git/e.git

I'd be glad if GIT would be one of correct protocols. What is your
opinion here?

I'm aware that Enlightenment has it's web page in this case.

It's a good question - should the URL refer to the source repository
or the project's web page? The wiki seems to be missing a
recommendation:

http://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Specfile_guidelines#Metadata_Tags

I'm inclined to say that it should be the webpage, because I suspect
that is more useful to services like yast, SUSE Studio, the OBS
front-ends etc.; most consumers of a package don't care how it was
built from source, but they would like to be able to easily find more
information about the software via the web page.

Also some projects will have multiple ways of retrieving the source:
release tar-balls, checkout from SCM repository (and there can be
multiple choices of repository, e.g. github / gitorious forks). So
for package maintainers, developers, and more fussy people, the OBS
source services are a great way of explicitly documenting and
automating source retrieval:

http://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Build_Service_Concept_SourceService

So I would say that git:// ... URLs probably belong in the section of
the _service file which contains the tar_scm source service
definition, rather than the URL header. ICBW though ;-)