[opensuse-buildservice] Debootstrap as a replacement of debian chroot creation in obs
  • From: Helio Chissini de Castro <helio.chissini.de.castro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 06 Mar 2012 08:17:27 -0300
Hi

Since we're starting to experiment full OBS build of a debian derivative
distro, we detected some faults in the chroot creation related sometimes to
scripting and post script runs as order of package install too.

So, for our personal test, we decided to replace the internal parts related to
dpkg in init_buildsystem ( obs-build ), for a single one common solution to
debian and ubuntu, which is debootstrap.

First difficulty i found was the lack of debian tools in RPM distros, rendering
workers unnefective, so i made a proper rpm for debootstrap, debhelper,
autotools-dev and apt ( which i called apt-debian ) to both Fedora and
openSUSE. openSUSE need less tools than Fedora, since have package deb which
contains dpkg + debhelper.

Having this, i was able to replace many parts of init_buildsystem script for
two steps:
- Generate a proper debian repos locally using apt-ftparchive
- Execute debootstrap

First step uses an script, that now is limited to test i386 and armhf for our
purposes
Second uses the buildd option of debootsrap, looking in local already
downloaded packages.
We already are using it as default in our internal OBS and so far so good, the
process shown some progress. It's working in both deb and rpm workers

I'm open to opinions, ideas of how far we can go, improve the script and if
maybe we can adapt this to upstream in future.

You can see the branch of obs-build here:
https://github.com/heliocastro/obs-build

And all packages in my home:heliochissini on build.opensuse.org
https://build.opensuse.org/project/show?project=home%3Aheliochissini

[]'s

--
Helio Chissini de Castro