[opensuse-buildservice] submit request is not specific about content
Hi all,

I observed a situation where it turned out that it is not possible to
specify exactly the version of sources to be submitted to a different
project and wanted to hear your opinion whether this is intended
behavior (with explanation please) or whether you agree that there is
a problem that should be addressed in some way.

In a submit request I can specify the exact revision to submit. For
instance if I want to submit a package I tested to Factory, which is
revision 42, I specify this revision in the submit request and can be
sure that when it is accepted this tested version will go into
Factory, even when I messed up the package in my project with revision
43.

A problem exists though for linked (or branched) packages. This is
because when I submit a tested revision 42 of a linked (or branched)
package and the original package my package is based on changes (and
potentially breaks my package) the modifications are merged
automatically into my package without the revision number changing.
There is no way (or at least I am not aware of one) to specify a
specific srcmd5 though in a submit request to prevent this.

An example of that behavior can be seen in my project
home:schiele:linkrev on build.opensuse.org. In that project I just
copied the plain zlib package from Factory and created another package
zlib-link that is just a plain link to zlib. Both packages built with
revision 1. Then I changed the zlib package and both packages rebuilt.
While the revision of the zlib package obviously was increased for the
second build, the revision number of zlib-link didn't change. Now if I
had a submit request of this package to Factory pending and the change
would have broken the package, the result would have been a submit
request for a broken package, although the package was perfectly fine
when I created the request.

Robert