Re: [opensuse-buildservice] Re: openSUSE:Tools dropped 11.3 repo already?
  • From: Archie Cobbs <archie.cobbs@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2012 09:46:21 -0600
On Wed, Feb 15, 2012 at 2:44 AM, Ludwig Nussel <ludwig.nussel@xxxxxxx> wrote:
Right now it is impossible to (re)build our openSUSE 11.3-based server
because, to take just ONE EXAMPLE, the mapserver package is not
available for 11.3. This is because the Application:Geo/openSUSE_11.3
repo was destroyed.

Also, mapserver does not exist in any of the
DISCONTINUED:openSUSE:11.3 repos, or Evergreen, or anywhere else.

So that's the problem: I need to be able to build and support servers
that last more than 18 months and it's become practically impossible.

I really don't understand how you managed to get into that situation.
Was the fact that openSUSE gets updates for 18 months and that 11.3 is
going EOL in January 2012 not communicated prominently enough? Did
you miss the discontinuation reminder that was sent six weeks before
the fact?

It's 100% my own fault, I agree with that.

My mistake was to believe that "EOL" meant merely "no longer
supported" instead of "deleted immediately".

And I'm not describing the problem here in order to assign blame to anyone.

Rather I was hoping that we can discuss how things might work better
for people who want to use openSUSE for longer than 18 months, without
imposing an additional burden on package maintainers.

I've offered an idea and would appreciate feedback on it.

Thanks,
-Archie

--
Archie L. Cobbs