Re: [opensuse-buildservice] Re: openSUSE:Tools dropped 11.3 repo already?
  • From: Adrian Schröter <adrian@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2012 18:04:20 +0100
Am Dienstag, 14. Februar 2012, 10:34:44 schrieb Archie Cobbs:
On Tue, Feb 14, 2012 at 5:19 AM, Adrian Schröter <adrian@xxxxxxx> wrote:
Am Montag, 13. Februar 2012, 22:13:54 schrieb Adam Spiers:
Archie Cobbs (archie.cobbs@xxxxxxxxx) wrote:
Why? First, it is worth observing that the very nature of OBS makes it
difficult to pursue that goal. Because in OBS, for any project/package
there is only one spec file - and therefore package version - for ALL
repositories.

It is the easiest way, but there are also other ways with multiple spec
files.>
In other words, it would be impossible for a maintainer to configure a
package to build foobar-1.2 on openSUSE 11.3 but foobar-2.1 on
openSUSE 12.1.

no.

So what happens? They either try to shoehorn foobar-2.1 onto 11.3,
with lots of resulting build issues, or if that becomes too hard they
just drop support for 11.3 or leave the build broken.

Some brave projects are willing to spawn sub-projects for each
openSUSE version, e.g. Virtualization:openSUSE11.3. But this is
unwieldy and hard to manage, and as a result most projects don't
bother to do this.

that makes no sense usually. You can still build against
DISCONTINUED:openSUSE:11.3 from same project. It is just that an absolute
minority wants to support that at all.

Adrian I'm sure you're getting tired of this conversation thread, and me
too.

I'm am going to give up trying to suggest solutions because I don't
have the knowledge that you do and you can see all the flaws in my
naive ideas.

So let me just describe the problem one last time and ask you to
please suggest the right answer.

Right now it is impossible to (re)build our openSUSE 11.3-based server
because, to take just ONE EXAMPLE, the mapserver package is not
available for 11.3. This is because the Application:Geo/openSUSE_11.3
repo was destroyed.

It was removed because it is not anymore maintained. And as the
Application:Geo maintainer I can tell you that I will not spend the
additional work to do so in future.
(Keep in mind that maintaining for old distros costs way more time then for
current ones).

If you need that particular package, then branch the sources and maintain it
in your project. But you can't expect other to do your work.

period
adrian

SUSE Linux Products GmbH