Re: [opensuse-buildservice] caching in source services
  • From: Adam Spiers <aspiers@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2012 15:41:50 +0000
Claudio Freire (klaussfreire@xxxxxxxxx) wrote:
On Tue, Feb 14, 2012 at 11:32 AM, Adam Spiers <aspiers@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

But remember that though they'll be building different packages, many
(and I mean MANY) dependencies that would be downloaded into the cache
could be shared among users.

This is a cache for upstream sources only (retrieved via tar_scm /
download_files source services), so the dependencies would only get
cached if they are being rebuilt too.

Oh... so the rpm cache for dependencies uses another mechanism?

Yes, that's completely different - see the 'packagecachedir' config
parameter in ~/.oscrc. I'm talking about a new cache just for source
services which isn't even used it ...

Security takes precedence IMO, but it's not as inconsequential in the
multiuser case as you may think.

Sorry, I'm not sure I follow.  What multiuser case are you envisioning
here?

Multiple users using the same machine for building of OBS packages.
I've worked at at least one place where this was the norm.

OK, so in that scenario you are saying it's not as inconsequential as
I may think - but actually I think security is pretty important, so
I'm still not sure what your point was ;-)

(because I told everybody just how great OBS is ;-) )

It's pretty amazing yes. We should not forget that while we are busy
coming up with ways to make Adrian more stressed ;-)