Re: [opensuse-buildservice] caching in source services
  • From: Adam Spiers <aspiers@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2012 14:32:17 +0000
Claudio Freire (klaussfreire@xxxxxxxxx) wrote:
On Tue, Feb 14, 2012 at 9:22 AM, Adam Spiers <aspiers@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
So maybe the best option is to stick with per-user caching, which is
of course safe.  I don't think it would be too wasteful, because in
most cases outside the OBS server, there is only one developer per
machine, and even if there are more, they are most likely building
different packages anyway.  obsrun and /var/cache/obs would only be
used on the build server, so they should be set up by an obs-server /
obs-filesystem package or similar, not the source services.  If you
agree, I'll remove them from the .spec files.

First, I agree.

Great ;-)

But remember that though they'll be building different packages, many
(and I mean MANY) dependencies that would be downloaded into the cache
could be shared among users.

This is a cache for upstream sources only (retrieved via tar_scm /
download_files source services), so the dependencies would only get
cached if they are being rebuilt too.

Security takes precedence IMO, but it's not as inconsequential in the
multiuser case as you may think.

Sorry, I'm not sure I follow. What multiuser case are you envisioning
here?