Re: [opensuse-buildservice] OBS and git
On Tuesday 14 February 2012, Adam Spiers wrote:
Adrian Schröter (adrian@xxxxxxx) wrote:
Am Montag, 13. Februar 2012, 22:13:54 schrieb Adam Spiers:
Could it make sense to switch the OBS backend to git?

There is a stub for that but a lot is missing like event handling
and release counter handling.

I see. Would be interested to learn more about what's missing at
some point ...

And you can't use git for entire projects

Agreed, that would be a bad idea, unless each project tracked its
packages via sub-modules.

or even a repo for package repo,

This is what I had in mind.

because the size of the tar balls would kill you in default
settings.

git-annex would easily solve that problem.

And git sub-projects are just the horror ...

Oh, OK :-) Why don't you like them?

Or at least build a git-obs bridge, in a similar manner to the
existing git-svn bridge?

Of course I'm biased because this is my idea ;-) but I think that
git-obs would be a cool step towards a more decentralized model. It
would only provide decentralization client-side (i.e. from the
perspective of OBS users), but that makes sense to me anyway, since
the OBS server is unavoidably centralized. Then it would allow users
to visualize package branches with standard tools like gitk, submit
requests would map to pull requests (à la github), and merges could
also be done with standard tools like kdiff3.

Yes, git support is IMO a must have. The major advantages I see would be

- not losing commit history when sr'ing/merging or linking packages
- locally doing atomic (readable) commits, pushing them squashed to OBS
to avoid re-building every commit.
- offline work is possible when OBS is down (which happened very often
in the last time)
- fetching several package clones (regardless their names) into the same
working copy to speed up testing/comparing
- rebasing commit history to have nice commit series to be pulled from
the major projects (devel, factory etc.).

cu,
Rudi

On my last team which was organised around a central svn server, I
used git-svn for two years and it gave me most of the advantages of
decentralized development without anyone else on the team even
needing to know. Then some of the other guys started getting
interested, and it allowed us to collaborate in a decentralized way
independently of the central svn server:

https://twiki.innerweb.novell.com/pub/PSO/GitHOWTO/_801___Screenshot.
png

When's the next hackweek? ;-)