Re: [opensuse-buildservice] Re: openSUSE:Tools dropped 11.3 repo already?
  • From: Adam Spiers <aspiers@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2012 22:13:54 +0000
Archie Cobbs (archie.cobbs@xxxxxxxxx) wrote:
Why? First, it is worth observing that the very nature of OBS makes it
difficult to pursue that goal. Because in OBS, for any project/package
there is only one spec file - and therefore package version - for ALL
repositories.

In other words, it would be impossible for a maintainer to configure a
package to build foobar-1.2 on openSUSE 11.3 but foobar-2.1 on
openSUSE 12.1.

So what happens? They either try to shoehorn foobar-2.1 onto 11.3,
with lots of resulting build issues, or if that becomes too hard they
just drop support for 11.3 or leave the build broken.

Some brave projects are willing to spawn sub-projects for each
openSUSE version, e.g. Virtualization:openSUSE11.3. But this is
unwieldy and hard to manage, and as a result most projects don't
bother to do this.

I'm very new to the OBS, but I agree - to my inexperienced eyes,
it does seem like there could be a more elegant solution.

(dreaming) Why not let each project be a simple git repo, with a
branch for each repository, defaulting to 'master' if no such branch
were defined?

Right, that was also my first reaction too the first time I found
myself in a twisty maze of OBS repositories, all alike. Could it make
sense to switch the OBS backend to git? Or at least build a git-obs
bridge, in a similar manner to the existing git-svn bridge?