Re: [opensuse-buildservice] Re: openSUSE:Tools dropped 11.3 repo already?
On Mon, Feb 13, 2012 at 10:02 AM, Archie Cobbs <archie.cobbs@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Mon, Feb 13, 2012 at 3:00 AM, Adrian Schröter <adrian@xxxxxxx> wrote:
Am Sonntag, 12. Februar 2012, 17:03:24 schrieb Archie Cobbs:
I never heard any response from the question below from the openSUSE folks.

Is this idea feasible?

As written quite some times ago, because it harms our mirrors and our build
power. And we have way too many people not caring about to remove repos when
it does not work properly anymore. So instead of opt-out, we have opt-in by
using the DISCONTINUED:* project repositories.

I don't think that is the same thing as what I'm suggesting, and
practically speaking, it's not a workable solution.

Here's the difference: today, if I want to (re)build a 11.3 server, I
have to go find the maintainers of 15 different OBS projects and annoy
them by asking them to add DISCONTINUED:11.3. Then of course every six
months I have to do the same thing all over again.

And of course, only if I'm lucky enough to get 100% positive response
can I build my 11.3 server. If the maintainer of, say,
server:monitoring is just too busy or doesn't care about 11.3, we're
out of luck forever.

In other words, the fact that you are unilaterally deleting repos
after 18 months means - practically speaking - there's no way to get
them back.

OK, let's try an even weaker proposal: declare that the last openSUSE
version in each series (e.g., 11.4 for the 11.X series) is allowed to
live a lot longer than 18 months, though not "officially supported".
When it's 18 months are up, don't delete it, just leave it alone, so
people can still use it. If some project doesn't want to keep it
around they can choose to delete it themselves, but don't force it on
them.

-Archie

Archie,

I assume you know about the Evergreen project.

http://en.opensuse.org/Evergreen

A better proposal than yours in my mind would be for Evergreen
supported openSUSE releases not have their sources in OBS renamed to
discontinued until evergreen support drops.

There is a current discussion thread on opensuse-project where it
looks like 11.4 is likely to be designated the next evergreen release.

If that works for you, I suggest you speak up in that thread.

Greg