Re: [opensuse-buildservice] Re: [opensuse-packaging] distro independant rpms and debs for distro independant data?
  • From: Adrian Schröter <adrian@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2012 09:18:43 +0100
Am Dienstag, 31. Januar 2012, 08:14:50 schrieb Carsten Hoeger:
On Mon, Jan 30, Claudio Freire wrote:
Bumping a really old thread here, but again I'm noticing some
inefficiency in OBS.
If both x86_64 and i586 are enabled for a noarch package, it's built
twice, but only one rpm is created.

Good point.
Especially when just building noarch packages.

Question: is it safe for me to disable one of the archs and thus save
some redundant work for OBS? (I imagine it is)

I am doing that since quite some time now, but I am just building noarch
packages.

It is only safe, when you do not use the noarch package again as build
requires. Otherwise you will have unresolvables.

Question: wouldn't it be great if OBS did that "optimization"
automatically? (after all, if only one RPM is published, what's the
point of building twice?)

it is not that easy when you take boot strapping and build cycles into
account. One arch would need to inject the package into the other archs and
build cycles can be detected that easily anymore.

SUSE Linux Products GmbH