Re: [opensuse-buildservice] libreoffice on onerirc takes an extremely long time to build
Hi Paul,

Paul Elliott píše v Út 10. 01. 2012 v 09:23 -0600:
Because it was not in BS, I attempted to build libreoffice for oneriric.
It takes an extremely long time to build. The i586 version is still building.

It depends how fast is your machine and how many localizations you are
building.

The build might take 15 minutes if you do en-US build from unpacked
sources on machine with many CPUs and plenty of RAM. It usually takes
several hours on the usual i586/x86_64 build hosts in BS for the 50
localizations. I heard that it takes even one week on some less powerful
systems.

If you do not need all the localizations, you might speed it up
significantly by replacing

%define test_build_langs 2

with

%define test_build_langs 1

in the .spec files. You might even try the value "0" but I havn't tested
it for a long time, so it might break somewhere.

If you have more CPU's you should use parallel build. For example, if
you have 4 cores, you could use:

osc build --jobs=4

Do not use too high number because there are two levels of parallelism,
so you might actually get 4x4=16 jobs this way. A big number might make
your machine unusable, start swapping and slow down everything in the
end.

Best Regards,
Petr

PS: I have never tried to build LO for Ubuntu in BS. I am not sure how
the conversion between RPM spec files and DEB control files actually
works.