Re: [opensuse-packaging] Re: [opensuse-buildservice] %clean section in rpm packages in OBS
I don't know on SUSE how it happens, I don't have a SLE license to
test... But from my experience with Red Hat Enterprise Linux if you
build a SRPM with RPM 4.9 (ex: Fedora 16) and try to rebuild it with
'rpmbuild --rebuild' or mock, it doesn't allow you to because db
versioning blows up.

I think people are making a huge fuss without being really required...
Look, here's the real deal:

1. Having the %clean section doesn't hurt, for old systems (where it
is actually required) or new ones (rpm > 4.8);
2. If you are a syntax lover and love to complicate things you can use
conditionals, for example:

# -- this should cut the slack
if 0%{?suse_version} =< 1140 || 0%{rhel} < 6 || 0%{?fedora} < 15
%clean
rm -rf %{buildroot}
%endif

3. If you build only for recent systems, lets say openSUSE 12.1 or
Factory, then you don't need clean... For all the rest you do need it.
Find the best solution (maybe conditionals ?).

NM