Re: [opensuse-buildservice] prj config to get oss repo?
On Nov 24, 11 07:51:12 +1300, Volker Kuhlmann wrote:
On Wed 23 Nov 2011 23:21:25 NZDT +1300, Ludwig Nussel wrote:

Yeah, OBS can't expand %() for obvious reasons.

The "obvious" reasons are, that
* When building a package, the source server employs a
virtual machine, and %() shell expansions are honored.
* But when we evaluate BuildRequires, the source server does not employ
a virtual machine, and %() shell expansions are disabled for security
reasons.

Not only that. It wouldn't make sense.
It would make a lot of sense to have a consistent way how %() expressions
are evaluated, from an end user persoective.

BuildRequires are evaluated
on the host system because BuildRequires define what's required to
install the target system in the first place.

This is an implementation detail. An undocumented one.
Hiding it would make sense too.

I've added a paragraph 'OBS Caveat' below
http://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Specfile_guidelines#BuildRequires
so that it is no longer undocumented.

cheers,
JW-

\ | 0911 74053-508 __/ (____/ /\
SUSE LINUX Products GmbH, GF: Jeff Hawn, J.Guild, F.Imendoerffer, HRB 16746
(AG Nuernberg), Maxfeldstrasse 5, 90409 Nuernberg, Germany

SuSE. Supporting Linux since 1992.