Re: [opensuse-buildservice] Usage of devel project for maintenance versus new process for 12.1
On Mon, Nov 14, 2011 at 02:44:16PM +0100, Adrian Schröter wrote:
Am Montag, 14. November 2011, 14:37:36 schrieb Michal Vyskocil:
On Mon, Nov 14, 2011 at 02:07:58PM +0100, Adrian Schröter wrote:
Am Montag, 14. November 2011, 13:43:39 schrieb Michal Vyskocil:
Hallo,

reading the documentantion about a new maintenance process for 12.1
don't know how can I use my current workflow for the maintenance of
icedtea-web in openSUSE.

As the same version of icedtea-web (and openjdk6) is distributed in
all
releases of openSUSE I maintain them in devel project and then
submit
packages from that project. It saves me a time, as all issues can be
resolved in devel project and there's really no need for having the
**same** sources in several directories.

However in case of new process all maintenance commands
(maintenancerequest and createincidient) works on project level
only,
because they expects to be called from mbranched project.

My attempt to use it on my devel project

osc maintenancerequest Java:openjdk6:Factory openSUSE:12.1:Update

Hi Adrian,

thanks for the fast reply.

Actually, this should not be allowed at all. The maintenance update
needs
to be build below openSUSE:Maintenance: first to get the review by
maintenance team, possible testing and final product signatures.

I will add some protection so that such requests can't get created and
incident requests are only allowed against maintenance projects.

what's the maintenance project? Is it some tagged project, or one in
openSUSE:Maintenance namespace, or something else?

In our instance it is just "openSUSE:Maintenance". It get used anyway by
default if you just define the source project with "osc maintenancerequest".

wants to add java-1_7_0-openjdk, which is something I really do not
want to do (see request 91359 [2] for details).

Do you have any hints how to combine my and new maintenance
workflow?

prepare the update in a project in a way like you want it to be.
Afterwards you can create a maintenance incident request against
openSUSE:Maintenance project.

Since you are not part of the maintenance team, you can't do it directly
in the openSUSE:Maintenance area.

Sorry, but I don't know what you mean by 'create a maintenance incident
request'. To make it simple and understandable for me, can you complete
this small example please?

that is what the used osc command is doing actually.

$ osc co Java:openjdk6:Factory icedtea-web
$ cd Java:openjdk6:Factory/icedtea-web
# do the update stuff, osc ci && osc r - now it's ready to go
$ ...
^^^^^

When I wrote the
$ osc createincident Java:openjdk6:Factory
Incident project created: Java:openjdk6:Factory:0

hm, should also only allowed when the upper project is a maintenance project
But I doubt that you want to found your own maintenance channel just for
Java:openjdk6:Factory project ;)

but not sure how this empty project would be usefull for me. It does not
inherited the project conf and does not have any attributes. From my
point of view is the easiest way to split the Java:openjdk6:Factory
project and have one package per devel project.

For now please run "osc mbranch" and adapt the project to your needs
afterwards. eg. removing all packages which should not get an update.
We will add a function for a limited "osc mbranch" rather soon.
When everything is building you can ask the maintenance team for an incident
with

osc maintenance request $YOUR_PROJECT

Hi Adrian,

thanks for your help. Reading all that stuff, I will use the one
project-per-package, as it will allow me use both approaches at the same
time without a problem.

Regards
Michal Vyskocil

thanks