Re: [opensuse-buildservice] Creating KMPs
  • From: Adrian Schröter <adrian@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 09 Nov 2011 08:26:21 +0100
Am Dienstag, 8. November 2011, 10:35:18 schrieb Ann Davis:
On 11/8/2011 at 10:05 AM, in message
<20111108170532.GB4977@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
Lars Müller<lmuelle@xxxxxxx> wrote:
On Mon, Nov 07, 2011 at 11:36:58AM -0700, Ann Davis wrote:
[ 8< ]

2) The whole *.changes thing has always confused me. Is this a

cross-distro standard? What is the reason to have a *.changes file
rather than just tracking the changes in the spec file?

Inside of the spec file you increase the rpm database size on the installed
system. So we need a stripped one inside of it while we don't want to loose
the full change log in the .changes file.

http://lizards.opensuse.org/2009/04/21/how-to-track-changes-in-packages-
osc- vc/
might be a good explanation why we're doing it this way.

Thanks for the link. I was worried that using a *.changes file instead of a
%changelog wouldn't work when building rpms for non-SUSE distros. But I
tested and the *.changes info gets into my RHEL rpms so I guess it's all
good. :)

Ann

Lars
SUSE Linux Products GmbH