Re: [opensuse-buildservice] Creating KMPs
Hi,

On 11/7/2011 at 10:55 AM, in message
<CAGpXXZ+76rDiBfH-5ME3-ojvNGHGrw6h-z6bO79ah=+TDu5XhQ@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Greg
Freemyer <greg.freemyer@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Mon, Nov 7, 2011 at 12:04 PM, Ann Davis <andavis@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

Also, the package

https://build.opensuse.org/package/show?package=sampledriver&project=home%3Aan
davis%3Alinuxcon2011 should pretty much match the sample in

http://www.novell.com/communities/node/9226/using-opensuse-build-service-create-an
d-distribute-kernel-module-packages#4 .

HTH,

Ann

Ann,

If you are maintaining that as an example, you should move the
changelog out of the specfile and into a *.changes file. A submission
to factory with it the way you have it would be rejected I believe.

Good point, but I have a few questions/comments:

1) This sample is intended target enterprise distros (like SLE and RHEL).
Reasons:

a) IMO, KMPs are of limited use unless there's an expectation of kABI
stability across kernel updates. Enterprise distros (like SLE and RHEL)
generally have kABI-stability policies; I'm not sure about other distros like
openSUSE, Fedora, etc. Of course, the situation is improved now that many
distros have symbol-granularity (rather than symset-granularity) kABI-matching
at an rpm level.

b) This sample will build and install fine on openSUSE. But it doesn't work
on Fedora, because Fedora did not incorporate the standard KMP macros that we
worked on in the LF Driver Backport workgroup. I'd be very happy to see folks
in the Fedora community exert some pressure in this area... ;)

2) The whole *.changes thing has always confused me. Is this a cross-distro
standard? What is the reason to have a *.changes file rather than just
tracking the changes in the spec file?

3) Given the above notes, would it make sense to submit this to factory? I'm
not opposed to it, I just haven't given it much thought.

TIA,

Ann

Greg