Re: [opensuse-buildservice] ANNOUNCE: OBS gitorious.org => github.com move .... DONE!
  • From: Adrian Schröter <adrian@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 04 Nov 2011 10:00:30 +0100
Am Freitag, 4. November 2011, 10:47:07 schrieb Sascha Peilicke:
On 11/03/2011 05:12 PM, Adrian Schröter wrote:
Am Donnerstag, 3. November 2011, 17:34:00 schrieb Sascha Peilicke:
On 10/23/2011 02:27 AM, Adrian Schröter wrote:
Hi,

On 2011-10-19 16:59:04 -0800, Sascha Peilicke wrote:
One addition, if you want to follow commits to OBS-related
projects,
you>>>

should subscribe the following mailing list:
obs-commits@xxxxxxxxxxxx

Is it possible to add the diff to the mail?

yes, would be very important.

If it is not possible via github.com, I will run my script again.
Will check with Sascha on tuesday.

Adrian's script is now generating commit messages again, which means
it's generating them with a huge delay

delay should not be hugh, just when git-sendmail run into its "diff with
too long lines" bug :/

Except when your machine isn't running...

and multiple times, depending on
branch merges. Can we please revert that?

Michael, TuX and me currently want readable mails....

You mean you want crappy diffs in black and white with line breaks.
'Readable' surely is a matter of taste. But I'm not at all against diffs
in mails, but I prefer the better tool (which is taste, too).

We moved to github to change
for the better and get rid of broken / custom crap. I filed a feature
request to have diffs added for github's commit mails and the friendly
guys there added it to their list. With the current commit messages
sent
by github, it's diffs are one click away. Not much in the age of
browser, no?

These mails are just pointless for me. If there are more people who want
mails without diffs I can send them just to the people who want them
with diffs.

For me and michael the diffs are crucial for our peer review work.

Don't get me wrong, but that is new to me ;-)

The obs-commits list was intended as a read-only list for commit
notification. If you want to discuss the pros n cons of a commit, you
would either use opensuse-buildservice@ or the commenting system on
github. You really don't want people to reply to obs-commits@.

We don't want to wait for browser startups ...

So all of you are in the big
quitting-me-browser-after-every-page-visited camp? Seriously not.

Especially you are firing up qgit every time you really want to follow
commits. While we're all speaking for other people, for Michael,
everything beyond mail (like IRC) is infernal stuff ;-)

Is there anyone who wants mails, but without diffs ?

It might be true that we are old and bald haired, but frankly, it looks
like you are currently the only modern developer in OBS. Let's keep the diffs
for us old fashioned people please until github has implemented it. (The
script was always considered a workaround until our hoster has a solution).

If you miss links to github pages, I may can convience git sendmail to add
them ...

good morning :)
adrian

SUSE Linux Products GmbH