Re: [opensuse-buildservice] Nonfree packages on OBS
  • From: Adrian Schröter <adrian@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 26 Aug 2011 07:35:30 +0200
Am Freitag, 26. August 2011, 00:51:30 schrieb Joaquin Sosa:
Flash is already in non-oss repo in openSUSE, so I don't see what is
the issue for it to be hosted twice in OBS.

The broadcom firmware openSUSE ships with a script to download it, why
not make this an package like pullin-flash-player?

Other distros already distribute the broadcom drivers. Does broadcom
really want users not to use their Linux driver?

Patent issues surround the multimedia packages, so what about:
pullin-nonbroken-multimedia? Packman hosts the packages with no
issues.

No the issues aren't legal, they are closed-minded thinking that just
because something is "open source" it's somehow "better."

In this particular case it is not that broadcom can sue us. But when we make
it easy that users violate the GPL, we could loose the right to ship
any GPL code in future.

bye
adrian