Re: [opensuse-buildservice] Using the Open build service as part of the Debian Mentors process
  • From: Adrian Schröter <adrian@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 09 Aug 2011 10:54:16 +0200
Am Sonntag, 7. August 2011, 10:43:05 schrieb Asheesh Laroia:
Hi Open Build Service folks,

I'm working on setting up some new web software for Debian
packaging contributors. I heard about the Open Build Service
here at the Desktop Summit, and I wondered:

Can we programmatically upload prospective Debian contributors'
source packages to the Open Build Service, have OBS do a package
build, and then run package quality tests on the resulting *.deb
files?

We don't have a real QA interface yet, however this is something we plan
for the future (most likely next year).

But you can of course run anything as part of a package build or installation.

Right now, we don't actually *compile* Debian contributors' source
packages -- they just upload them to http://expo.debian.net/. It
would be really great to add some code to that website that would
use OBS to build the packages -- by doing that, we can show the
package contributors if their packages build properly!

So this has two parts: First, is it technically posssible? And
second, is this a use that would be okay?

Technically not really a problem IMHO.

Resource wise it may become one. But we can handle this via priorisation. And
in worst case you may need to install your own instance.

However, in an ideal world, we would work together, maintaining sources and
patches at the same time for debian and openSUSE. That is actually the goal
what we have to share workforces. And esp. frozen packages get usually the
same (security) updates anyway ....

bye
adrian

SUSE Linux Products GmbH