Re: [opensuse-buildservice] OBS Logo
On Sat, 2011-08-06 at 12:53 +0200, Klaas Freitag wrote:
Am Mittwoch, 3. August 2011, 14:11:36 schrieb C. Bergström:
On 08/ 3/11 07:07 PM, Robert Lihm wrote:
Hello All!

I made a new logo for the OBS [1]. The second variant in the PNG is
mainly for cases like e.g. ads, banners, etc. Where the logo is
small/tiny.

Hope you like it ;-)

No - it's really ugly

/* Me thinks no engineer should be allowed to design logo and
companies/communities should use something like 99design */
This post shows that you neither have experience in the openSUSE community,
as
otherwise you would know that Robert is a designer nor with free software
communities in general as you would know how to contribute your constructive
criticism.
I think we'd like to ask you to silently learn a bit more and try again later.

I agree that the tone was not helpful and immediately contributed to
degradation of a thread that was meant to be collaborative. Let's not
slamp people when they offer up their ideas or end-works. Let's learn
to speak more constructively.

I think if we discuss the logo, we have to try to imagine that its used in
the
Bento theme, where its reduced form and grey color makes great sense to me.

From a marketing perspective, let's not forget also that OBS is not just
a community project tool but also a product with commercial offerings.
So it needs to be a logo that appeals both to community and enterprise
audiences.

The factory image is conceptually cool. But the design of it is way too
similar to several other companies I can think of that use that concept.
I do agree that we should retain that "factory concept" but be a bit
bolder in how it is portrayed. The glass-skyscraper type concept seems
to be a very good one and is attractive enough to turn heads if
displayed in a booth at some events.

As for text font, I'd like to see us be consistent with using FifthLeg
wherever possible, but that's only a wish, not an insistence. :-)

Bryen M Yunashko

regards,
Klaas