[opensuse-buildservice] Build Team Meeting
  • From: Adrian Schröter <adrian@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2011 11:56:49 +0200
present: saschpe, coolo, adrian, lrupp, mmaier

Topics:

* Improve caching mechanisms
* Nokogiri switch
* OBS 2.3 state
* new backend hardware
* OBS worker changes

Improve caching mechanisms
==========================

The webui is currently doing significant caching of data from api to
improve loading times. The downside is that it shows sometimes outdated
data.

The idea is to have a callback way from the api to invalidate data in the
webui caches. That would allow us to increase cache times and show correct
data anyway.

Another idea is to store generated files in the api on disk and let it
deliver directly by apache.

The overal goal is to make the webui way more snappy.

We have to collect more benchmark data and to evaluate a number of
technics for this, so this is a post 2.3 feature in any case.

Nokogiri switch
===============

Coolo spend significant time debugging the ruby crashes. It turned out to
be a memory corruption in XML bindings. The final solution was to switch
to another XML bindings, nokogiri. This solved the crashes and solved also
the memory leaks in api code.

We will do the 2.3 release with these changes.

OBS 2.3 state
=============

We still not release OBS 2.3 as final until openSUSE switched maintenance
mechanism.

But we will branch 2.3 from master this week and roll a new beta.

new backend hardware
====================

The new backend server hardware is installed, but currently lacks fibre channel
cards. mmaier will check.

OBS worker changes

The temporary build hosts 40 & 41 work in general fine building packages in RAM.
However, we still have a bug in worker code which leads to dieing workers.

We try to upgrade one out of the build3x hosts with enough memory to have a test
instance in future.

mmaier will work with PPC people to deploy new worker images supporting KVM. So
we will be able to allow PPC building publicly.

SUSE Linux Products GmbH