Re: [opensuse-buildservice] OBS mobile: project / package view changes
  • From: Adrian Schröter <adrian@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2011 13:49:52 +0200
Am Friday, 24. June 2011, 11:58:33 schrieb Justine Leng:
Hi all,

I'm working on improving the project / package views in OBS mobile.
There are a few changes I'd like to propose and discuss. It would be
great to find out if they would help make OBS mobile more efficient and
powerful to the mobile client users before final implementation.

Discussion is also posted on my blog:
http://obsforandroid.wordpress.com/2011/06/10/obs-mobile-package-page-makeover/

1. Add “Project Status” on the project view page to indicate the
overall real-time status of this project, possibly categorized as
follows:

- Stable: project is ready for end-users to use.
- Testing: project should work from a developer’s point of view, but
needs more testing.
- Development: project is in a random state; it might work.
- Private: project is not intended for public use.

Makes absolut sense. however we should do so in all front-ends in then and
store the data in api.

It seems you found the fate entry already :)

https://features.opensuse.org/306232

I can add such an attribute with these 4 allowed values to OBS code base,
so that every frontend can use it.

Is OBS:QualityCategory a good attribute name ?

Screenshot: http://susepaste.org/33683563

2. Organize the package view page like this:
http://susepaste.org/45272178

Description tab would be removed from this page to reduce redundancy,
since it already appears on previous few pages.

Files, Requests, and Failures would be changed to collapsible view, and
have a count in the header to show the latest status, so that the user
doesn’t have to tap open each button: http://susepaste.org/39817759

Looks good, but it would maybe make sense to offer direct links to the 2
open requests here. There is not much new information in the text below
otherwise.

A tab called Notes would be added to this page to show some other
packages (the links will go to the corresponding package view pages) in
the commit history that might trigger a rebuild of the current package.
It might look something like this: http://susepaste.org/5804598

Hm, I am unsure if the really makes sense. The result can be very large.
I am unsure if a mobile user really wants this, when the classic webui
user has not even asked for this yet .....

3. About these buttons: are they better bearing collapsible views or
sliding over to related screens?
For example, here's the sliding view of Repositories:
http://susepaste.org/45395077 vs. collapsible view:
http://susepaste.org/26703741

I think the later one gives more space on the screen and reduces the amount
of loaded data (important for the mobile view IMHO).

Of course, we still need to convert those html webpage views to mobile
views.

So, what do you think of these changes? How could I make it better? Any
comments and suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance,
Justine Leng

SUSE Linux Products GmbH