Re: [opensuse-buildservice] Virtualizing OBS worker build environment with OpenVZ or LXC
  • From: Sami Anttila <sami.anttila@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2011 20:06:10 +0300
Hello,

On 2011-03-29 15:46:17 +0300, Ville.Seppanen@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
I am afraid you might've misunderstood me. I am aware that OpenSUSE
does provide LXC, but I meant is there work being done for OBS, so
that OBS build host would use LXC to separate the worker build
environment itself from the build host (so that the package being
built cannot modify the build host). To me, it seems that currently
OBS supports Xen and KVM. Looking at /etc/sysconfig/obs-worker,
OBS_VM_TYPE can be auto, xen, kvm or none. Could support for LXC be
easily implemented?

When you said "we support", I understood that you meant OpenSUSE.
However, I was talking specifically about OBS.

adrian *is* talking about the build script support for lxc.

build is also used by the obs workers.
so if you want to learn more about that part, dig into the "build" git
tree.

I am trying to accomplish this as well at the moment. I have been going
through the "build" code and it's apparent that LXC is indeed supported
by the build code's side. However, am I correct to say that no such
support has been added to the actual worker code and getting LXC to work
with the workers would require manual patching of the worker code. Both
XEN and KVM are initialized by starting the bs_worker with a specific
argument which does not seem to exist for LXC.

Best regards,
Sami