Re: [opensuse-buildservice] OBS, far more work then on Launchpad for Ubuntu
  • From: Adrian Schröter <adrian@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 26 May 2011 15:10:56 +0200
Am Thursday, 26. May 2011, 13:52:54 schrieb Radoslav Dibarbora:
On 26.May.2011 13:35, Adrian Schröter wrote:
Am Thursday, 26. May 2011, 12:45:45 schrieb peer:
On 05/26/2011 12:36 PM, Sascha Peilicke wrote:
On Thursday 26 May 2011 12:25:23 peer wrote:
On 05/26/2011 11:18 AM, Claudio Freire wrote:
On Thu, May 26, 2011 at 9:50 AM, Adrian Schröter<adrian@xxxxxxx>
wrote:
Since these are anyway a moving target, what about if you Debian/Ubuntu
builder people found a project, let's say Debian:Support where you
maintain such packages and build for all (needed) Debian and Ubuntu
distros.

So you can have a common pool for such packages and you do not rely on
me personally.

I would create such a project and hand over to you, if let's say at
least three persons are willing to work on that.

does this sound like a plan ?
Yep, that sounds perfect
Sounds like a unpractical and cumbersome solution to me. Maybe I am
missing something, but why not enable 'universe' (as an option) as
default?
Just as Adrian said, currently we're not allowed to host _all_ content
that is
in Ubuntu's universe/multiverse repositories, mainly due to license and
patent
issues. That's essentially the same reason why we're not hosting
rpmfusion for
Fedora.

Until the OBS is hostet in a country where this doesn't matter we're
bound to
german law.
I understand that multiverse is a problem. But why universe, that is all
free software.
The last time I checked it contained definitive some packages part of our
black list
(containg ffmpeg inside of the application and so on).

ALso, it was a moving target. I will not import such a repo binary wise,
because I would
need permanently updating it.
Adrian,

What about allowing the worker to download build requirements from
external sources?

builds would not be reproducable. The value of OBS would not be given.

Will it be also illegal if you will not provide problematic packages
just allow to build using them?

since you would be also able to download them via api.o.o, yes.

This will also solve the problem with other distributions needs. I was
asking to add EPEL repositories few times but it ended in nowhere
probably for same reasons:
- legal problems
- need to maintain frequently changed binary repositories

Regards
Rado

SUSE Linux Products GmbH