Re: [opensuse-buildservice] About product concept
  • From: Sandro Andrade <sandroandrade@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 25 May 2011 16:20:49 -0300
On Wed, May 25, 2011 at 8:50 AM, Adrian Schröter <adrian@xxxxxxx> wrote:
Am Tuesday, 24. May 2011, 18:10:55 schrieb Sandro Andrade:
Hi there,

Hi Adrian,

I'm playing with product creation in order to provide three different
"versions" of a kiwi image I'm working into.
The goal is to have a basic image, with only essential packages, an
intermediate image with some additional applications,
and a "full" image containing a larger set of packages.

I'd be grateful if someone could clarify some points ...

1) I'm planning to provide the basic image as a base product and make
intermediate and full as add-ons which depend on
the base product. Is this a good approach ?

Same what we do with openSUSE. (There are Non-OSS and language addons).

But to be clear, a product image is not an appliance. It is a media, which
is used to install a new system via YaST.

okay ?

Yes, that's clear :)

2) I understand the concept of product as a specific group of packages
made available by some kind of media(um) but
the real goal of release packages (as openSUSE-release) is still
obscure to me. When I try to install a new add-on by
using YaST module it asks me the product source (url, DVD, etc) and
just shows me the YaST module for selecting
patterns for installation (including patterns from all repositories
currently enabled). Couldn't I ask to install all
packages from the add-on ? Do I need create a pattern in product
description to have this working (create_pattern="true"
in "<use group ..." ?) ?

create_pattern is unfortunatly not yet implementet.

I'd be happy trying to implement that, if you think it's a convenient
time in terms
of the needed infra-structure to have this working. I'd just need some initial
guidelines ...

The -release pakcages are just there to indentify the installed products
in the installed system. Without access to any repo.

3) A bunch of packages depend on openSUSE-release package, or anyone
providing distribution-release resolvable.
But what would be the goal of add-ons release packages ? Just to
indicate that a particular product is installed ?

Yes. And to define which base product it needs.

Ok, but why when installing a new product, by using YaST "Add-on
Products" module, we get the patterns tab of YaST's "Software
Management" module ? I mean, what would be the semantics of installing
a product ? Install all packages or some pattern(s) provided by the
product ? I'm just wondering what would trigger (or justify) the
installation of release package ...

Thanks,
Sandro

What if I remove all add-on packages and keep the add-on release
package ? So, the relatioship between patterns,
release packages and products is still abscure to me ...

Thanks in advance, see you ...
--
Sandro

SUSE Linux Products GmbH