Re: [opensuse-buildservice] new osc user interface proposal
On Tuesday 24 May 2011 09:02:02 Adrian Schröter wrote:
Am Tuesday, 24. May 2011, 08:49:04 schrieb Sascha Peilicke:
On Monday 23 May 2011 21:26:18 Adrian Schröter wrote:
Am Monday, 23. May 2011, 21:19:25 schrieb Adrian Schröter:
Am Monday, 23. May 2011, 18:12:51 schrieb Marcus Hüwe:
Hi,

as a part of our Google Summer of Code Project to cleanup osc [1]
our first task was to define a new commandline user interface for
osc. The current user interface is quite "inconsistent" (with
regard to the expected arguments for different commands) and has
some other "flaws".

In short, great new proposal, I have not many remarks yet, but I will
think about it :)

Just one idea of mine, I would like to integrate requests more
smoothly into osc and also webui. For me this means work as usual as
long as possible and if it does not work due to lack of permissions,
the client should ask for creating a request instead. For example

osc delete $PROJECT

deletes the project. If it can't be done, osc should ask the user to
create a request instead.

One may also offer a standard parameter to enforce the request
creation (because you may want that others check this). This could
be done via

osc delete --request $PROJECT

This may be a replacement for the "osc request create" command to
some degree (multiple actions per request would not work with that).

please understand this also as a RFC proposal :)

Do you think it makes sense ?

I'd say 'osc delete' could create a request if you are not a maintainer
of the target much like the webui currently does. One could argue
though, that it may make sense to ask the other 10 maintainers before
you delete a devel:foo project. Instead of a request, osc could ask for
confirmation if there are other maintainers or packages in the project.
This would create some social presure to get in touch with the others.
If you want to delete sth under your home: project, nobody cares. If you
want to delete, say, Base:System, you should get in touch with your
co-maintainers, not just ask them for confirmation.

Yes, you should get in touch. However, I do not see how an automatism can
help here.
Isn't that what I just said? :-)

We could add every single maintainer as reviewer of such a request, but
from a realistic standpoint there will be always some not reacting
maintainer and the request would be blocked.
Yep, I agree that reviews aren't the ideal solution here.

This discussion may lead to far away from the original osc UI proposal now,
but if we agree that osc should ask for creating requests in 403 cases (if
no --batch option got added) this would have an effect on the CLI UI.
I think this would make sense, currently osc ditches by saying 'I can't do
that with the command you issued, but add this parameter and I could". An
example is 'osc build' vc 'osc build --local-package'. Instead, it should be
clever and do the right thing right away, our just ask for confirmation if in
doubt. This way we avoid cluttering the CLI once again.

@suse-tux: Isn't that sth. you hand in mind anyway?

good morning
adrian

As a consequence we would need to add commands for all request types
in the api (which is not the case for "submit" for example. I see
people with write permissions

in the target creating requests just for convenience. However, not a
good idea, because it sends out unwanted notifications).

That "submit" command is something I want to do after 2.3 ASAP in any
case.

--
Mit freundlichen Grüßen,
Sascha Peilicke