Re: [opensuse-buildservice] Adding a distribution support from scratch
  • From: Adrian Schröter <adrian@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 11 May 2011 09:54:37 +0200
Am Tuesday, 10. May 2011, 19:14:05 schrieb Ozan Çağlayan:
Hi,

I'd like to add support for Pardus to OBS. Pardus is not an RPM based
distribution, it has its own package format and packaging tools.

I've been digging around the internet, openSUSE portal and gitorious for
a few days but I can't really find a documentation.

So we have,

OSC - the client
OBS - the build service
build - build script which builds RPM packages in a sandbox

I'm planning to use the provided OBS appliances to add support for
Pardus packages instead of preparing whole build-service related
packages for Pardus from scratch. So the host will be an openSUSE OBS
appliance for now, not Pardus.

From what I've understand, that OBS appliance should be able to build
Pardus packages on its own. So I'll have to port the related tools and
dependencies to that environment first. That's not a big issue, it's
just preparing a few RPM packages and installing them over openSUSE.

yep, we may take them into openSUSE:Tools project later on, when OBS is
supporting
pardus.

The hard part is to teach the OBS how to build Pardus packages. Should I
prepare a functionally equivalent build script for Pardus similar to
what rests at:
http://gitorious.org/opensuse/build/trees/master

That is the best place to start.

Finally, is the whole process of giving support for Pardus packages
feasible? Is the build service and the lower layers are modular/flexible
enough to add that support or will this be too invasive for a non-RPM
distribution?

I think so. We support already also debian and kiwi packages beside rpm.

if you do the work and adapt the build package, we should be also able to
help you easily with the obs server itself.

The build package has basically followin important parts:
* the setup of a build enviroment
- preinstall: unpacking of binary packages without running scripts
- install: jump inside chroot/xen/kvm and do a real installation of all
packages.
* perl module to
- parse binary package headers (to get their provides and require strings)
- parse build description (what is the spec file in rpm case)

If you can support this with build (and you can test it standalone) you have
done
the biggest part.

The obs-server and osc should be straight forward afterwards and as said before,
we can help you then with that.

welcome :)
adrian

Thanks,