Re: [opensuse-buildservice] Use solid state disks [ssd] to improve obs build times.

On Tue, 19 Apr 2011, Stephen Shaw wrote:

On Sat, Apr 16, 2011 at 02:19, <doiggl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hello
With the opensuse build service [obs] getting more usage every day
I wonder if this would make a diffence :-

1. Use  solid state disks [ssd] to  improve build times of package rpms
on, perhaps point the BuildRoot or _tmppath to the ssd's

Reason for asking.
Improve the packaging times during busy times on obs.

Cheers Glenn.

Unfortunately there is a cost associated, but it would be cool to get
a bunch of fusion IO cards and see how they perform.

The laptop I do all my builds from before submitting to OBS has an SSD in it,
and I must say, it's delightful :)

% osc build --ccache

And I'm off to the races!

That said, this is a simple Corsair X64, I've priced higher quality SSDs for
servers before and it's a good jump in price from standard laptop SSDs still :(

Cheers
- R. Tyler Croy
Code: http://github.com/rtyler
Chatter: http://identi.ca/agentdero