Re: [opensuse-buildservice] Re: obs violates the debian policy §4.9.1
On Wednesday April 13 2011 20:52:09 Hans-Peter Jansen wrote:
On Wednesday 13 April 2011, 19:18:03 Stephan Kleine wrote:
On Tuesday April 12 2011 23:36:45 peer wrote:
On 04/12/2011 10:56 PM, Adrian Schröter wrote:
Am Dienstag, 12. April 2011, 22:38:17 schrieb Peter Linnell:
On 04/12/2011 10:19 PM, Adrian Schröter wrote:
Am Dienstag, 12. April 2011, 21:54:56 schrieb Peter Linnell:
On 04/02/2011 09:51 PM, peer wrote:
On 04/02/2011 08:20 PM, Stephan Kleine wrote:
On Saturday April 2 2011 19:13:48 you wrote:
Here is the bug report

Well, it is obvious that the debian folks don´t care about
anything outside
their ivory tower. I meant filing a bug at the cdbs
upstream that their build scripts are broken cause being
unable to build in parallel _is_ a bug IMHO, so they would
perhaps fix this.

Er, sry, I forgot what cdbs is, seems like you are screwed
;P

But more seriously, not doing the builds in parallel is just
a waste of time
and resources and debian& buntu builds already take much
longer than rpm builds (e.g. during package install) so
disabling parallel builds to please
some broken packages isn't an option imho. Simply wait till
a way to disable
them in the packages meta data is implemented and fix it in
the meantime by
adding "-j1" to your make call.

You didn't read the reply by the author well. The package is
not broken, it's a choice to have the package like it is.
That's why it's not a accident that it fails on obs and not
on the Debian, Ubuntu and Launchpad build systems. They
doesn't violate the Debian policy and I think that's a good
choice. That's also why the cdbs author argues that obs is
broken, not the package and I do agree with him here.

It's fundamentally wrong imo to provide a service for Debian
packages and not accept the Debian way and the Debian policy.
Of course you could discuss the way of building with the
Debian devs and try to convince them (at least the cdbs
author seems to be open for a rational discussion). But at
the end the best thing a service for Debian packages can do,
it to adapt to the Debian way. Then we as users are assured
that we don't need all kinds of hacks to get our Debian
packages build.

~P

I read the Debian policy carefully and nothing there it seems
_prohibits_ parallel building.

Quote:

"parallel=n

Where is this set exactly ?

We can parse that maybe in build script and limit it to "n".
Or take the dpkg tools already care of that ?

http://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ch-source.html#s-debianr

ules-opt ions Section 4.9.1

okay, so it seems that the packages really need to get fixed
debian/rules file to avoid the usage of parallel builds too me.
(similar as in spec files where the macro must not be used).

Thanks for digging into it.
adrian

Enabling parallel building via DEB_BUILD_OPTIONS, parallel=n seems
to be the proper way to enable parallel building on Debian. But if
this is not set by the package maintainer, obs shouldn't build the
package in parallel, because that would violate the Debian policy.

~P

No, make it the other way round. Until explicitly disabled in the
packages meta data build the stuff in parallel since .deb builds
already waste enough time during package installation and most people
probably will never know or care to enable parallel builds for
working packages.

And if they choose to punish themself, why not meet their policy, but
simply penalize those non parallel builds in the scheduler adequately
in order to lower burden of other BS users.

Guess, how fast the self-healing power will change this silly situation.

Again, because that "policy" is screwing over everyone else cause the .deb
builds already waste loads of time (e.g. the package installation takes
considerable longer than on rpm based distros) so anything that makes .deb
builds faster is plain awesome in my book.

Also the majority of the packages should "just work" when build in parallel
because - again - the only reason that wouldn't work is because the packages
build scripts have a bug in the first place.

So please explain me why everyone else should get punished and time get wasted
just cause a handful of people happen to want to build broken packages they
refuse to fix?

So simply fix your packages build scripts and send the patch upstream or
implement some option to turn of parallel builds in the packages meta data or
wait till someone else does it for you but stop punishing everyone cause your
stuff is broken and you refuse to fix it.

regards,
Stephan