Re: [opensuse-buildservice] Re: obs violates the debian policy §4.9.1
On Tuesday April 12 2011 23:36:45 peer wrote:
On 04/12/2011 10:56 PM, Adrian Schröter wrote:
Am Dienstag, 12. April 2011, 22:38:17 schrieb Peter Linnell:
On 04/12/2011 10:19 PM, Adrian Schröter wrote:
Am Dienstag, 12. April 2011, 21:54:56 schrieb Peter Linnell:
On 04/02/2011 09:51 PM, peer wrote:
On 04/02/2011 08:20 PM, Stephan Kleine wrote:
On Saturday April 2 2011 19:13:48 you wrote:
Here is the bug report

Well, it is obvious that the debian folks don´t care about anything
outside
their ivory tower. I meant filing a bug at the cdbs upstream that
their build scripts are broken cause being unable to build in
parallel _is_ a bug IMHO, so they would perhaps fix this.

Er, sry, I forgot what cdbs is, seems like you are screwed ;P

But more seriously, not doing the builds in parallel is just a waste
of time
and resources and debian& buntu builds already take much longer
than rpm builds (e.g. during package install) so disabling parallel
builds to please
some broken packages isn't an option imho. Simply wait till a way to
disable
them in the packages meta data is implemented and fix it in the
meantime by
adding "-j1" to your make call.

You didn't read the reply by the author well. The package is not
broken, it's a choice to have the package like it is. That's why
it's not a accident that it fails on obs and not on the Debian,
Ubuntu and Launchpad build systems. They doesn't violate the Debian
policy and I think that's a good choice. That's also why the cdbs
author argues that obs is broken, not the package and I do agree
with him here.

It's fundamentally wrong imo to provide a service for Debian packages
and not accept the Debian way and the Debian policy. Of course you
could discuss the way of building with the Debian devs and try to
convince them (at least the cdbs author seems to be open for a
rational discussion). But at the end the best thing a service for
Debian packages can do, it to adapt to the Debian way. Then we as
users are assured that we don't need all kinds of hacks to get our
Debian packages build.

~P

I read the Debian policy carefully and nothing there it seems
_prohibits_ parallel building.

Quote:

"parallel=n

Where is this set exactly ?

We can parse that maybe in build script and limit it to "n".
Or take the dpkg tools already care of that ?

http://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ch-source.html#s-debianrules-opt
ions Section 4.9.1

okay, so it seems that the packages really need to get fixed debian/rules
file to avoid the usage of parallel builds too me. (similar as in spec
files where the macro must not be used).

Thanks for digging into it.
adrian

Enabling parallel building via DEB_BUILD_OPTIONS, parallel=n seems to be
the proper way to enable parallel building on Debian. But if this is not
set by the package maintainer, obs shouldn't build the package in
parallel, because that would violate the Debian policy.

~P

No, make it the other way round. Until explicitly disabled in the packages
meta data build the stuff in parallel since .deb builds already waste enough
time during package installation and most people probably will never know or
care to enable parallel builds for working packages.