[opensuse-buildservice] Re: [opensuse-buildservice] Re: obs violates the debian policy §4.9.1
On Tue, Apr 12, 2011 at 10:36:04PM +0200, peer wrote:
So, reading that it seems then that in the case of OBS, it can provide a
robust build system to parallel builds. Therefore, perhaps it might be
worthwhile for Debian to reconsider what might be an out of date policy
- especially in light of the prevalence of multi-core CPUS.

Indeed, and I belive that DEB_BUILD_OPTIONS is meant to be a progression
towards this. I may even suggest it as a goal for the next release, to
have -jN safe compiles for all packages.
It'd certainly improve package quality.

"It is up to the package maintainer to decide whether the package
build times are long enough and the package build system is robust
enough to make supporting parallel builds worthwhile."

It's up to the package maintainer to decide, not to obs. That's the point.

Well, yes. I would agree that by default, Debian packages should be
built with -j1.

Mind you, getting the data as to which packages *don't* build with N > 1
would also be very useful.

Neil
(aka, neilm@xxxxxxxxxx, Debian Release Manager)
--
Neil McGovern, Software Development Team Lead, Amino Communications Ltd
Buckingway Business Park, Anderson Road, Swavesey, Cambridge, CB24 4UQ, UK